A Center of Academic Excellence
UPLB offers 29 undergraduate, 70 masters, and 30 doctoral degree programs in its traditional fields of expertise as well as in allied and important emerging fields through its nine colleges and two schools.
Instruction at UPLB benefits from a multidisciplinary human resource and multi-institutional collaborations especially from the research and development institutions around it. We continue to offer and propose new curricular programs for future and global needs.
In recent years, we instituted the Bachelor of Science degree in Agribiotechnology, Master of Veterinary Epidemiology, Master of Management, major in cooperative management, and the PhD in Development Studies.
All our courses are taught by a pool of professors and mentors who are among the best in their fields in this country and in the Asia-Pacific region. To enhance the competitiveness of our educators, we are embracing alternative paradigms of teaching and learning in mult-iplatform modes. This pedagogy is more interactive and learner-centered to encourage ubiquitous learning among the new generation of learners. It also transforms us into educators and facilitators in a digital age with an increasingly global classroom.
We are partners with other prestigious universities abroad in offering joint graduate degree programs. As early as 1989, UPLB had been a founding member and host of the Southeast Asian University Consortium for Graduate Education in Agriculture and Natural Resources through the Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA). Hence, we share expertise, exchange students, and faculty members, and enjoy fellowships and scholarships to study in other members of the consortium.
Our undergraduate students are among the best high school graduates from all over the country. And our graduate students are carefully chosen from graduates and professionals who respond to the challenge of continuing and lifelong learning. Through our undergraduate and graduate curricular programs, we nurture individuals with the culture of scholarship and imbue them with the value of public service.
As a community of scholars who live by honor and excellence, UPLB students are dedicated to discovery and learning. Excellent mentoring and training hone them to become professionals who could make up a country’s dynamic and productive human resource.
As a testament to the excellence of instruction and learning in UPLB, the Philippine Commission of Higher Education (CHED) has identified a number of centers of excellence and centers of development at the University.
CHED Centers of Excellence
- College of Agriculture for agriculture education (2009-2014)
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Physics of the College of Arts and Sciences for mathematics education (2009-2014)
- Institute of Computer Science of the College of Arts and Sciences for information technology education (2009-2014)
- Institute of Biological Sciences of the College of Arts and Sciences for biology education (2006-2014)
- Institute of Chemistry of the College of Arts and Sciences for chemistry education (2009-2014)
- College of Forestry and Natural Resources for forestry education (2009-2014)
- Institute of Agricultural Engineering of the College of Engineering and Agro-industrial Technology for agricultural engineering (2011-2014)
- College of Development Communication for development communication (2012-2014)
- College of Veterinary Medicine for veterinary education (2009-2014)
CHED Centers of Development
- Institute of Statistics in statistics education (2006 to date)
- School of Environmental Science and Management in environmental science (2010-2015)
National Centers of Excellence in the Basic Sciences (established under Executive Order No. 889 signed in 1983)
- Institute of Mathematical Science and Physics
- Institute of Chemistry
- Institute of Biological Sciences
Moreover, the Professional Regulation Commission has recognized UPLB as a top performing University for registering a passing mark of 100%, and sweeping the top slots in almost all board examinations in agriculture, forestry, veterinary medicine, nutrition and dietetics, veterinary medicine, and engineering.
*Licensure examination in agriculture started in 2009.
**Monitoring of performance of graduates taking the licensure examination for teachers started in 2010.